Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Saturday Morning Walk

     On October 5, 2013, I got up at 6:00 in the morning because I was going to do a radio interview on a local radio station for the Autism Hope Center in Columbus, GA. The walk actually took place at Hardaway High School's track field and the radio station had a tent set up right next to the field. My mom and I were there to promote the book and have a good time supporting the cause of autism. (The type of autism that I have is PDD-NOS). Anyway, when we got there, we looked around and saw all of the things that were available for people to do. There was a coloring section, a table that gave away all sorts of toys, gadgets and accessories which were all blue to symbolize autism. I thought that was neat! Then, I met this beautiful girl who was there to volunteer, so I go over there and "introduced myself." I started making her laugh and whatnot and we started talking. After we finished, she did her thing and I did mine with my mother. Before we started the walk, everyone heard the announcer talking about the statistics of autism and the history of the Autism Hope Center. When he was done, there was a woman who sang the "Star-Spangled Banner." After she finished, the walk started. We walked around four good times and I looked around and I observed all of the mothers, fathers, relatives who were there supporting their family members with autism or themselves. I also think about the love and strength that all of these people have for others with autism. (Because think about it! All of these could've gave up on their child or relative because of how hard the disorder is on the candidates). Seeing everyone there with smiles on their faces that day pretty much made my morning.
     My mother thought that it would be a good idea if I volunteered at the event. Since I was looking for something to pass the time of waiting until I spoke on the radio, I looked for the volunteer sheet. I had to be redirected to different people to finally get to the volunteer sheet. Fortunately, I met a woman with the sign-up sheet and signed my name. I was given a sticker and told to see if the water tank needed help. (Oh, yes they did!) I mean, they weren't doing anything wrong. It's just how they got the water to the people. People would have to walk around the track and walk to the cooler to get a bottle of water. (And I'm thinking "What if the people are tired from walking around?") So, what I did was, I got 2 water bottles, walked around the field and asked people if they needed a bottle of ice cold water. (Of course people wanted water! We were walking around the track in the blazing heat!) Well, you know what they say! "You got to give the people what they want!" Just as I was about to make my 2nd round with 4 water bottles, my mom told me that I was about to speak on the radio.
     I made my way to the radio station tent and before I spoke, a mother with a 6-year old autistic son talked about her story and how in the past, she was denied coverage to receive medical help for her autistic child by numerous medical offices. She then discussed how she talked to the CEO of her medical provider about this matter and because she did, she was able to get coverage for her child and now, coverage was available to every single family in the Columbus, GA region who suffers from autism. After she was done, I started talking. First, of course, I started talking about my book. when it was released, what it's about and where people can buy it. (On my blog!) Also, there was a flyer in front of me about returning prayer back into school and that's when I started "droppin' science." I informed everyone that was circled around the tent and the people who were listening on the radio about my feelings on prayer in school, what it would mean to have prayer and the fact that "under God" wasn't added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1958. I started getting positive reactions from everyone that was there at the time and I received the best news of the whole day! My mom got a call from the radio station saying that they wanted me to do a 30-minute segment directed on how I can uplift teens and turn them into positive individuals of society. I thought "Are you serious?! My own show?!! That's amazing!" That was God blessing me with an opportunity that I felt extremely privileged to have and I was going to have a good experience doing it! I guess that's what happens when you don't give up hope, you don't accept defeat and you wait your turn. Good things come to those who wait and apparently, this is proof that it can happen. Just be patient and believe.

                                                                                                                            -Jaylon