Monday, August 26, 2013

Books

Book (n)-a written work or composition that has been published

      The one record of our history. The one vital importance on how we collect information. The entrance into another person's life, perspectives on life and their imagination. They teach us. They move us. They give us a refined, concrete example of how reality has personified our ability to tell a story whether fictitious or not. Books have been around in our lives since the beginning of time and have been written to preserve our history and to give future generations a glimpse on how life was in a previous generations. Readers can tell how or what a certain time period was like based on the writing, the events that happened in the story, the characters, their attire, vernacular, etc. One book, in particular, taught me a lot about life and about self-confidence, being yourself and also realizing what's more important in the long run. That book was Hill Harper's Letters To A Young Brother.
      In Hill Harper's Letters To A Young Brother, Hill sends letters to a "young brother" describing various situations in the young man's life, goes in depth about life lessons that teenage youth would find beneficial to their lives and uses real-life advice and quotes from celebrities and close friends and family to address his position on a certain topic. My favorite topic that was discussed was Hill using the phrase "Money, Power and Respect" to his advantage, but instead of supporting that phrase; he switched the phrase around to "Power, Respect and Money" to explain to his audience how knowledge is power and should not be taken lightly when trying to pursue the career of your dreams.

    Also, another discussed topic was the topic about girls and their desire for a "man". He related the story of how girls want a real man to girls wanting a real product at a shopping mall and not a cheap knock-off. That opened me up and encouraged me to continue the fight on being myself regardless of what others thought or said negatively on my behalf. Because it's never about what others believe or think! It's about what you believe and think! What do you think about yourself? What do you believe? I believe...that women are the greatest creatures ever created! I think about women every day of my life! I adore them! I love them! I also believe in being a free-spirit! I think about all the time in the past that was wasted caring about what others believed and not hearing the little voice that came from inside of me! That's why I devote every day of my life to make a difference in people's lives and more importantly, mine! It's people like Hill Harper that gives life a whole new beginning for people like me and for people who believed that life was over for them for whatever reason. Books give people the chance to escape from the reality that they currently take part of and enter the author's. Books give people a message. A powerful message no matter what it is. But no matter what, the most important message from any book should be...welcome to my world!

Autism: In My Own Words (come into my world)

                                                                                                        -Jaylon