Thursday, August 8, 2013

Drawing

Honestly, it started with my cousin, Tre, who just so happens to be the cover artist for my debut novel Autism: In My Own Words. In the beginning, I don't believe that I was the type of person that could draw. Color, yes. Drawing, no. But it was him that made me draw in the first place. He drew a picture of Tarzan that pretty good for a 5 year old. That's right! 5 years old! On that one little drawing, he was getting all of the attention! I mean, it was on my grandma's refrigerator door for God's sake! That to me felt like the highest place of honor! I remember when it was Memorial Day and I wanted it to be my time to shine! So I drew a picture of a dinosaur. A crudely drawn dinosaur, but hey, come on, I was 4! But I just wouldn't let that stop me from drawing like a pro! One time, I remember that I drew the cover of my WWE WrestleMania XIX GameCube game and it looked exactly like the original version! And the entire drawing was freehand; not traced. Back then, I was drawing just to show everyone that I was just as good as Tre, but every time I would visit his house in Mississippi, he would always have something to top it! He had an entire folder of every single last Marvel or DC character ever created! Or he would have drawn all of the Boondocks characters! Or self-portraits of people in his family! Or pictures of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Iron-Man, Mega-Man, Pac-Man, Bat-Man, Wolverine, Super-Man, Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, The Whole GotDang Justice League! It didn't matter! I mean, he was just drawing everything that he was interested in and it didn't matter who it was or what it was! I mean, he's so good that every time he draws, Picasso would cry in his grave! But now, I draw just to draw and because I have a strong passion for creating beautiful things! I'm currently drawings realistic portraits of people that I consider very precious to my heart and very valuable confidants. For example, this is a picture of one of my favorite rappers, Special Ed. I drew this a while back and decided to darken it! Take a look!
 
Just goes to show that if you're really passionate about doing something, with all means, pursue it to the best of your ability! Nothing is stopping you from doing your best or being your best...but you!

                                                                                                           -Jaylon