Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ledger Enquirer

On May 30, 2013, I was about to finish my second to last day on high school for my junior year at Bundy High and I just wanted to be finished so summer vacation could start. Originally, I didn't want to come to school that day because I wasn't really feeling like going to school on the 2 last days of school, but I was told that I was going to be interviewed for the Ledger Enquirer about my book "Autism: In My Own Words". (http://www.amazon.com/Autism-In-My-Own-Words/dp/1481709208)

So I went because I would be a fool to waste the opportunity of having two eager reporters wanting, out of their own free will, to know the truth about why I chose to write the book, the type of impact that I wanted it to have and the people that I wanted to inspire while they read it.

Well, as I was waiting, my school was adding a new "tradition" to the school where they would put the students in "houses". They made 4 houses and every student had to draw a color card from a box. The color of the card you pulled represented the house that you would be put into. Sounded a little interesting, but wasn't really feeling it. Then, one of the staff members of Bundy High, Mr. Franklin, wanted me to come into the office because the reporter from the Ledger Enquirer finally arrived. He had to be the most kindest, blue-eyed saints that I met that day! He was telling me how it would be happy if I had a copy of my own book with me to be used in the interview (which I didn't have, but I remember my principal, Mrs. Farris, had a copy so I used her copy). We went to the library and we started talking about my book, my family, what made me want to write the book, how doctors and other people rejected the mess out of me, etc. Then, his photographer took pictures for the article and we made the story.


http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/06/23/2549422/early-college-academy-of-columbus.html

It was Sunday morning on June 23, 2013 which was two days before the 4th anniversary of Michael Jackson's death that the story was published! Everyone in Columbus, GA that had a subscription to the Ledger Enquirer saw my story! :) Now everyone in the city of Columbus knew my story because people who saw the story told people who told people and so on and so forth! This is exactly what happens when you don't quit and you don't stop trying so hard to make a difference in your life! Doesn't matter how different you are; you can still be successful!

                                                                                                        -Jaylon